April 17, 2014



A 4-year-old girl ignited a small toy tent as she played with a lighter in her grandparents' living room two miles southeast of Carroll on Wednesday, according to Fire Chief Greg Schreck.

The tent fire quickly spread to a nearby chair and couch and engulfed the living room of the house at 21453 Phoenix Ave. about 5:30 p.m.

"They were able to get out of the house OK - no one was injured," Schreck said today. "The damage was extensive."

Flames leapt from the living room windows as firefighters arrived, he said. It took two hours to extinguish the blaze.

There was no immediate estimate of the fire and smoke damage. The house is valued at $61,500, according to county records. Craig and Stephanie Stimson own the house.