Faulty electrical wiring sparked house fire
April 12, 2013
A Tuesday fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage to this house on North West Street. At least two fundraisers are planned to help the family displaced by the blaze.
An electrical short likely ignited the Tuesday afternoon house and garage fire on the north side of Carroll, Fire Chief Greg Schreck said.
The fire started near the electrical service panel in the basement of the house at 1326 N. West St., an investigation by the Carroll Fire Department and State Fire Marshal's Office found.
From there, the fire quickly spread to a wooden door and breezeway that connected the house and garage.
Firefighter Jason Wittrock reported the blaze about 2:39 p.m. He had stopped at his house, which was just south of the fire, and smelled smoke and saw the flames, Schreck has said.
Fire quickly engulfed the garage and crept up the siding on the east side of the house into its attic, where firefighters worked for hours to extinguish smoldering wood.
No one was at the house at the time of the fire, and no firefighter was injured, Schreck said.
Firefighters cut holes in the roof to spray water into the attic. Water caused most of the estimated $100,000 damage to the house, Schreck said.
Monica Vanderheiden lived there with two children.
Iowa Community Credit Union, 503 U.S. Highway 30, will accept donations of money, clothes and other items to help the family. Vanderheiden wears size 10 women's pants, adult medium shirts and sizes 10 or 10 1/2 shoes. Her daughter wears junior sizes 5 to 7 pants, adult small or medium shirts and sizes 9 to 9 1/2 shoes. Her son wears sizes 8 to 10 children's pants, kids size small or medium shirts and size 1 shoes.
The Carroll High School soccer team has also planned a fundraising dinner for the family at Pizza Ranch from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, April 24. All donations and a portion of food sales will benefit the family.
Content © 2016 Daily Times Herald
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved