Smoke, soot killed four
in house fire
Thursday, November 15, 2012
The adult and three young children who died in a Tuesday house fire in Lake City died of smoke and soot inhalation, according to Iowa State Medical Examiner autopsies.
Officials also confirmed on Wednesday the identities of those who died in the early-morning fire: Tyra Pierson, 22, her sister Madison Pierson, 8, her brother Wyatt Pierson, 3, and her infant son Xavier, 11 months.
Lake City Fire Chief Mel Alpox said on Tuesday that the fire likely started in a sleeper sofa in the home’s ground-level living room. An electrical cord from a ceiling lamp might have been pinched into the sofa’s metal frame, possibly causing the cord to spark or melt, he said.
Alpox said the fire — which was reported by a police officer on patrol about 1:40 a.m. — spread quickly to nearby stacks of magazines and other periodicals. The fire moved easily to other parts of the house because plaster and drywall had been torn from ceilings as part of a renovation.
A visitation for the Piersons is set to run from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Lampe Funeral Home, 418 N. Hancock St. in Lake City.
A funeral is set for 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Lake City Union Church, 206 W. Main St.
Content © 2016 Daily Times Herald
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software,
All Rights Reserved