A charging hoverboard possibly ignited a fire in a second-floor Fairview Village apartment this morning, Carroll Fire Chief Greg Schreck said.
The fire was reported about 11 a.m., and firefighters extinguished it in about 20 minutes, Schreck said.
“One (apartment) suffered heavy fire damage,” Schreck said. “And there was a couple that sustained smoke and water damage.”
There were more than 20 firefighters who helped extinguish the fire. One of them suffered heat exhaustion and another suffered a cut on a finger.
The resident’s sister — who declined to publicly identify herself — lives in a nearby Fairview building and said her 12-year-old nephew called 911 after noticing the fire.
“All I know is that my nephew told me that his old hoverboard happened to catch on fire,” she said. “And he said that he was sitting in the living room watching TV, and he said that he heard a big ol’ pop, and he went into a room and his whole room and his bed caught on fire.”
Toy hoverboards are two-wheeled, motorized devices that children balance themselves on.
A little after noon, Schreck was still at the fire scene and said the fire department wasn't certain of the cause of the fire, but that the investigation is focused on the hoverboard charging in a closet.
The resident’s sister said the firefighters cut a hole in the roof to let out smoke and while Schreck said no tenants were injured, the sister said her nephew managed to safely get their two dogs out but their cat “didn’t make it.”
The resident asked to not have her or her son’s names published. She did say to tell people “not to (expletive) buy hoverboards.”