BREDA

Massage heating pad ignites house fire

  • 0

A dog died in a Sunday morning house fire in Breda that apparently was ignited by a heating pad on a massage table, according to Breda Fire Chief Dan Wiskus.

One of the homeowners at 405 Main St., Joe Wempe, was inside the house when a smoke detector alerted about 5 a.m., Wiskus said. Wempe called a firefighter for help, and the firefighter reported the fire about 5:12 a.m.

The house was full of smoke by the time other firefighters arrived, Wiskus said.

Wempe was not seriously injured, but a dog died because of smoke inhalation. Most of the damage to the house was from smoke.

Wiskus thinks the fire flamed up and died down on its own. It reignited in a section of ceiling about two hours later after the exterior doors and windows were opened to vent the smoke.

Rhonda Wempe has operated About Kneads Therapeutic Massage Clinic in the house. She was not inside at the time of the fire.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.